Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Mandatory Viewing for My Children

Frontline (in my opinion) is one of the best news-magazine shows. Better than 60 Minutes (no Dan Rather, no books to push). I seem to recall that I once watched a show on how a few major media companies are the Merchants of Cool.

I bring this up because a major source of influence on our children's perception of 'what's cool' comes from television and the media. At a young age, the little consumer is being developed and habits are being formed. I can attest. Wherever my daughter sees something Disney in a store, she has to have it, even if it is shampoo!

When my children get older, I plan on sitting down with them and watching this video (online). I hope it will at least give them a sense of self-awareness about themselves and that they are being molded and persuaded into something they may not even know.

I have also found some additional segments that I think are equally valuable and worthwhile viewing:

The Persuaders: How marketing and advertising not only influence what we buy, but how we view ourselves.

Secret History of the Credit Card: Explores the credit card industy and Americans ever increasing credit card debt.

I fully admire our capitalist system. It seems though that financial education and acumen are in decline and the marketers and credit card companies are getting more and more sophisticated...the battle is becoming lopsided.

A little bit of knowledge could go a long way.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?