Friday, March 03, 2006

Taxes Filed; Refund Coming

I filed my federal and state taxes this week. I experienced a few unexpected twists this year. Nothing major, but I think they are worthy enough to blog about.

First, we bought a house this year. With that comes being able to itemize tax deductions. Moving is also a great time to go through your belongings and donate to charity what is no longer needed.

With that in mind, I bought Turbo Tax's It's Deductible to track and itemize my deductions. Overall, this was a very valuable tool. (Editor's Note: I reserve judgement until the statute of limitations expires - if it does at all - due to the valuations of the items donated.) Overall, the program is useful. It is a bit clunky with respect to editing or changing things after the donation.

To enter in a donation, you have to select a charity and the date. I assumed that the charity I was taking my stuff to would accept it. Turns out they didnt'. No, the stuff wasn't garbage, but their bins were full and the staff was overwhelmed. I had to go to another charity down the street.

As soon as I came home, I ran over to my computer, fired up It's Deductible to make the change in charities. Turns out that this was not an option. So, I had to rekey in the donation under the new charity.

As much as I planned ahead, I wasn't able to get my withholdings down to a level where I would get little back. Maybe I was lazy or a bit nervous. By the 4th quarter, my federal/state w/h's were $65/week combined...and I still got a refund in excess of $1k.

I learned that getting a state tax refund could be a costly check. Why? The amount you can claim for federal taxes is the amount withheld, not owed. If you get a refund in year 1, it becomes taxable in year 2. If you marginal rate in year 2 is higher than year 1, this will raise your taxable income.

Fortunately, you can deduct state/local sales taxes. While each situation is unique, mine was such that claiming the sales tax deduction was a better deal when looking at both years.

As for e-filing, the feds won't accept certain returns. My return had more than one page of charitable donation listings and I had to snail mail my return. I don't really mind, except that the processing/refund time increases.

Overall, tax year 2005 was a good learning experience. My estimated taxes for 05 were less than the actual refunds, but not by much. The major lesson learned: don't get a state tax refund (that's taxable income in the following year), especially if you expect your marginal rate to be highger. Taking the sales tax deduction made more sense for me.
Comments:
Hi,
I just landed on your blog and found it to be very informative and interesting. I congratulate you for creating such a wonderful blog. Most of our moderators are a regular visitor of your blog. I would be highly obliged if you would spare some precious moment of yours and allow us to contact you for giving an interview or allow us to review your blog in a finance community site having 100K+ members.

Please let me know your choice and mail me at julimith@gmail.com

Please also mention the complete url and the title you will prefer.

Regards
Julie
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?