Monday, January 16, 2012

Cleaning (the Kitchen)

Ouch. This is a large topic that can go in a lot of directions. I'll try to stay focused.

Cleaning is a "have to do" for me. I like a clean house but it takes time and energy. Recently I've adopted a clean as I go approach in the kitchen.

After each meal, I will wash all dishes, pots, cups, and silverware by hand. I'll set them in a dish rack to dry. While drying, I'll wipe down the counters, cabinets, stove, fridge, and kitchen table. By that time, the dishes will have dried enough to where I can towel them off and put them away. Once done with that, I'll sweep the kitchen floor.

Is it perfect? No. The oven wasn't cleaned for was the floor mopped. I didn't clean out the fridge either. On the other hand, I don't have a microwave to clean!

Overall though, by the end of the day, everything is where it should be, the counters and floors are clean, and when I walk in the next morning, I don't have to see a mess. Plus, this has a ritualistic quality for me. I'm actually able to find solitude and peace in this. Couple this with the fact I love to cook my own meals, this is a nice coda to my day.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?